Friday, February 4, 2011

Union Man


This is a union song. It's from a time in American history when working people rallied behind the union banner in factories and workshops in places like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Kalamazoo, Youngstown and all the small mill and mining towns of the Northeast and Midwest. Hard-scrabble places where things were made and the workers understood they could only get a fair shake from the boss if they stood with their union.


People don't sing songs like this anymore. Unions are now lumped with Muslims, Communists and Liberals in the popular imagination. But once  troubadours like Woody Guthrie,  Pete Seeger,  Ramblin' Jack Elliott and other long forgotten folk singers gave voice to the union movement and sang the praises of the American worker.  It seems like a long, long time ago.


The Musicians of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra have been  on strike since last October.  The strike is what strikes are always about:  wages and working conditions.   The bosses want to add work and subtract wages. The musicians don't think that's fair.   Check out their website if you're interested in learning more about their union and supporting their cause.




Union Man
copyright Dan Sullivan 1990


I'm a postal clerk in Memphis
I'm a teacher in L.A.
I play guitar on the records
That the radio stations play
I'm a truck driver in Dallas
I'm a store clerk in San Fran
I'm a waitress in El Paso
And I am a Union Man

And when we stand together
We never stand so tall
An injury to one of us
Is an injury to all
I wear the union label
And I'm proud of who I am
I've never crossed a picket line
I am a Union Man

I forge the steel in Pittsburgh
I'm a nurse in Tennessee
I make the cars in Michigan
And work the docks in New Orleans
I'm a plumber in Chicago
I build houses in St. Paul
I'm the woman at the hospital
Who takes the emergency calls

And when we stand together
We never stand so tall
An injury to one of us
Is an injury to all
I wear the union label
And I'm proud of who I am
I've never crossed a picket line
I am a Union Man

I've never crossed a picket line
I ain't no company man
I am a Union Man

1 comment:

  1. he he he... several things come to mind:

    1. I'm sorta ignorant on how you create the music of your songs. On this particular one, I can hear the guitar and tambourine at the same time. The image that came to mind was you strumming your guitar as usual but holding the tamborine with your teeth????? hahahahaha So, tell me, how did you actually manage that???

    2. This is a good song, present it to the union, they might use it. I think when I search for a job, I will look for a union protected position. Just makes sense.

    3. The lyric of this song, specifically the line 'I'm a store clerk in San Fran'. I think it would flow better if you change it to 'I'm a CAT in San Francisco'. hahahahaha Just kidding!

    Keep singing and writing, Dannie!!!!

    ReplyDelete